Jakarta EE Trademark Guidelines
Supplement to the Eclipse Foundation Guidelines for Eclipse Logos & Trademarks Policy for Jakarta EE Marks
Version 1.2 - March 12, 2020
This document supplements the Eclipse Foundation Guidelines for Eclipse Logos & Trademarks Policy (this Supplement, together with the Eclipse Foundation Guidelines for Eclipse Logos & Trademarks Policy, collectively, the “Policy”) to address the permitted usage of the Jakarta EE Marks (as defined below). The Jakarta EE marks include, but are not limited to, the following names and/or logos: Jakarta EE, Jakarta EE Working Group, Jakarta EE Member, and Jakarta EE Compatible, (collectively the “Jakarta EE Marks”). The full guidelines on the usage of the Jakarta EE Marks are described in the Jakarta EE Brand Usage Handbook. Use of the Jakarta EE Marks must at all times conform to the Policy.
Use of the Jakarta EE Marks is restricted as follows (eligibility requirements):
- Use of the “Jakarta EE Compatible” mark is limited to use in conjunction with Compatible Software Products. “Compatible Software Products” mean any products which are certified as Compatible Implementations of Jakarta EE Profiles by the use of Technology Compatibility Kits (“TCKs”) under the then-current TCK Process, as those terms are defined in the then-current Jakarta EE Specification Process.
- Use of the “Jakarta EE Compatible” mark is limited to use in conjunction with Compatible Software Products (as defined below) distributed by:
- Participant, Enterprise or Strategic Members of the Jakarta EE WG who are also licensees under the Jakarta EE Compatibility Trademark License Agreement; or
- Guest Members of the Jakarta EE WG, if:
- Use of the Jakarta EE Compatible mark is approved unanimously by the Jakarta EE WG Steering Committee; and
- Such Guest Members are also licensees under the Eclipse Foundation Trademark License.
- Strategic Members in good standing of the Jakarta EE Working Group, are entitled to have an open source compatible application server included in the Jakarta EE official list of Compatible Software Products, along with their company name, a link to their company’s website, and a download link to the open source project where users can get the compatible application server, if:
- Approved by the Jakarta EE Steering Committee;
- The Member follows the Jakarta EE TCK process to run the applicable TCK;
- The Member and open source project comply with all requirements of the Eclipse Foundation TCK License; and
- The product logo is included in the Jakarta EE official list of Compatible Software Products, provided it is made available by the open source project.This entitles the Strategic Member to use the Jakarta EE Compatibility logo in conjunction with the open source compatible application server. They may also include a link to the Jakarta EE official list of Compatible Software Products on their website and in other collateral.
For any products meeting the above eligibility requirements and wishing to be included in the Jakarta EE official list of Compatible Software Products, the following information must be provided:
- A product or open source project name and version,
- A product logo (optional),
- The Participant, Enterprise or Strategic Member name supporting the Compatible Software Product,
- The URL to the published public TCK test results demonstrating compatibility as defined in the TCK Process,
- The URL where Compatible Software Product or open source project is available for download
- Except as expressly set forth above, the use of the Jakarta EE Compatible mark or any similar branding using the Jakarta, EE4J, or Eclipse name or mark is not permitted in conjunction with any software or related services, including Compatible Software Products.
- Use of the Jakarta EE Marks is permitted by community members under nominative fair use but cannot be used in conjunction with any software product or service.
- The “Jakarta EE Member” mark can only be used to identify those Strategic, Enterprise, Participant, and Individual Committer Members that are members of the Jakarta EE Working Group. Only then-current members of the Jakarta EE Working Group are authorized to use the Member mark, and use of the mark must conform to all of the terms of the Policy.