Specifies that a bean belongs to the dependent pseudo-scope.
Beans declared with scope @Dependent behave differently to beans with other built-in scope types. When a bean is
declared to have scope @Dependent:
- No injected instance of the bean is ever shared between multiple injection points.
- Any instance of the bean injected into an object that is being created by the container is bound to the lifecycle of the
newly created object.
- When a Unified EL expression in a JSF or JSP page that refers to the bean by its EL name is evaluated, at most one
instance of the bean is instantiated. This instance exists to service just a single evaluation of the EL expression. It is
reused if the bean EL name appears multiple times in the EL expression, but is never reused when the EL expression is
evaluated again, or when another EL expression is evaluated.
- Any instance of the bean that receives a producer method, producer field, disposer method or observer method invocation
exists to service that invocation only.
- Any instance of the bean injected into method parameters of a disposer method or observer method exists to service the
method invocation only.
Every invocation of the
Context.get(Contextual, CreationalContext) operation of the
context object for the @Dependent scope returns a new instance of the given bean.
Every invocation of the
Context.get(Contextual) operation of the context object for the
@Dependent scope returns a null value.
The @Dependent scope is always active.
Many instances of beans with scope @Dependent belong to some other bean or Jakarta EE component class instance and are
called dependent objects.
- Instances of decorators and interceptors are dependent objects of the bean instance they decorate.
- An instance of a bean with scope @Dependent injected into a field, bean constructor or initializer method is a
dependent object of the bean or Jakarta EE component class instance into which it was injected.
- An instance of a bean with scope @Dependent injected into a producer method is a dependent object of the
producer method bean instance that is being produced.
- An instance of a bean with scope @Dependent obtained by direct invocation of an
Instance is a dependent object of the instance of
When the container destroys an instance of a bean or of any Jakarta EE component class supporting injection, the container
destroys all its dependent objects, after the @PreDestroy callback completes and after the servlet
destroy() method is called.